Showing Collections: 121 - 150 of 285
Original deed and plat for 50 acres off of the Tyger River in Spartanburg County granted to John Duncan on June 4, 1810. Adjacent property owners noted as Joseph Allen, William Allen, Leare, and Crook.
This collection consists of two copies of a souvenir program of the Little World Series that was held at Duncan Park in 1938 and every issue of the Spartanburg High School student newspaper "The Scribbler" from February 1939 to May 1941.
Collection focused on local livestock production. Files include Blue Ridge Fat Stock Show and Sale programs (1950-1977), Blue Ridge Fat Stock Show and Sale photographs, Spartanburg County Livestock Producers Association membership lists and programs (ca. 1970-2005), newspaper clippings related to cattle farming, and a collection of minstrel play scripts.
306 photographic negatives created by Joseph Pizzimenti while a soldier stationed at Camp Croft and Fort Jackson between 1941 and 1945. The collection mostly contains 4" x 5" negatives on nitrate film, with a handful of smaller negatives and color transparencies also included.
This collection consists of the records of the of Kate Barry Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. There are directories, postcards, files, and scrapbooks that contain newspaper clippings, photographs, and files.
Drafts, correspondence, source notes, newspaper clippings, and presentation notes relating to Fronde Kennedy's work on A History of Spartanburg County (published 1940).
The collection consists of 30 booklets which are variously described as programmes, programs, year books, calendars, annual reports, and represent meetings and activities of Ladies' Library Association and Kennedy Library Association between 1892 and 1917.
Official City of Spartanburg proclamation signed by Mayor Robert Stoddard declaring October 26, 1969 - November 1, 1969 to be Key Club Week in Spartanburg. Key Club was a High School service club sponsored by Kiwanis with chapters at Spartanburg and Dorman High Schools.
This collection consists of four photographs, depicting activities and graduation exercises of the Spartanburg General Hospital School of Nursing class of 1948, 1948 graduation exercises program, and diploma and registered nurse certificate issued to Pearl Brown, class of 1947. There are also a copy of the Summer 1992 issue of "The Little General," the Spartanburg General Hospital School of Nursing's newsletter.
The Landrum Hi-Times was a student newspaper produced by Landrum High School beginning in 1934. The newspaper changed its name to Hi-Lander in 1936. This collection consists of 18 issues of the newspaper from 1934 to 1937.
One original photograph depicting interior view of A. Frank Lawter grocery store in Spartanburg. First appearance of the store in city directories occurs in 1911, when the store is listed at 116 South Church Street, where it remains until the 1918 city directory, when it is listed at 118 South Church Street. This photograph likely dates to the store's opening in 1910 or 1911.
This collection consists of 31 photographs taken by Leo Brown. Leo Brown was a solider from Corning, NY who was stationed at Camp Wadsworth. The photographs show camp life at Camp Wadsworth. These photographs have been digitized and made part of the SCPL Historical Digital Collection. They are availble to view at SCPL Historical Digital Collection.
Letter handwritten by Seventh Judicial Circuit Judge T. S. Sease of Spartanburg, South Carolina to W. S. Hall of Gaffney, South Carolina concerning his opinions on a legal case identified only as bank versus casualty company.
Letter on United States Senate stationery written by Senator Ernest "Fritz" Hollings to the librarian of the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind originally enclosed with a bound copy of the tributes delivered in the United States Congress honoring the late James F. Byrnes.
Halftone photographic reprint of Littlejohn and Smith Feed Store exterior and employees. In 1940, the business was located on Trade Street in downtown Spartanburg.
Contents of a disassembled scrapbook created by Broadus Richard "Dick" Littlejohn, Jr., past president of Community Cash Stores. File consists of fifteen (15) items most connected to his service in the Naval Reserve and his membership at First Baptist Church of Spartanburg, South Carolina.
This collection consists of a variety of items from the Civil War and post-war era. These include a newspaper article listing the wounded and dead of Holcombe's Legion, a page of a ledger listing dead soldiers from the Newberry District, a letter to Capt. E.H. Bobo from H.S. Roger, list of wounded from the Wallace Brigade, a photograph of downtown Spartanburg from 1898, and a list of injuries of soldiers.
Blueprint depicting Camp Wadsworth in May 1918, shortly after the addition of land to the south of the camp
The Margaret Lathrop Law papers consist of an autobiographical sketch, manuscripts, notes, photographs, and postcards. The manuscripts include Aimee, Law's published novel, along with notes about the research done for the novel. The other manuscripts in the collection appear to be of unpublished novels. The photographs and postcards were collected during Law's numerous trips abroad including trips to Japan, France, Spain, Italy, and Poland.
This collection consists of nine postcards depicting scenes in downtown Spartanburg, all mailed by Lois to Ann Eitel in March of 1949. Scenes include the main building of Wofford College, First Baptist Church, US Post Office and Federal Court House, Frank Evans High School, Mills Ave, Main St. looking East and West, Morgan Monument, and Spartanburg General Hospital.
Large collection of architectural plans depicting the work of several allied architects consisting primarily of commercial, educational, and governmental buildings. Most of the plans are original drawings or CAD prints.
One photograph of a tintype photograph of Dr. T. Sumter Means. Dr. T. Sumter Means (1833-1900) was a physician during the Civil War and later in Spartanburg. An active member of the community, he served as Senior Warden of the Episcopal Church, trustee of the Kennedy Library, and president of the county medical association.
Arnold Ross was a Spartanburg judge. This collection consists of one photograph of Judge Arnold Ross Merchant in his judicial robes.
The collection consists of materials related to three US milirary ships with connections to the Spartanburg area: USS South Carolina, USS Cowpens, and USS Spartanburg County. Materials include the programs for all three ships' commissioning ceremonies and the USS Spartanburg County's decommissioning cermony.
The collection consists of seven file folders, each containing a program from an annual Milliken Breakfast Show held at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. An eighth folder contains an undated career guide, "Milliken offers you a great career".
- photographs 106
- Spartanburg (S.C.) 56
- correspondence 33
- Spartanburg County (S.C.) 28
- postcards 22
- programs (documents) 22
- Military camps 20
- World War II 17
- World War, 1939-1945 17
- World War I 15
- World War, 1914-1918 15
- minutes (administrative records) 14
- newspapers 13
- clippings (information artifacts) 12
- Textile factories 11
- negatives (photographs) 11
- Civil War, 1861-1865 10
- Schools 10
- scrapbooks 10
- Central business districts 9 + ∧ less
- Camp Wadsworth (Spartanburg, S.C.) 13
- Spartanburg County School District Seven 9
- Camp Croft (Spartanburg, S.C.) 8
- Willis, Alfred, 1880-1945 8
- Spartanburg High School 7
- Wofford College (Spartanburg, S.C.) 5
- City of Spartanburg 3
- Clifton Manufacturing Company 3
- Lindbergh, Charles A. (Charles Augustus), 1902-1974 3
- Spartanburg Downtown Memorial Airport 3
- Spartanburg Phillies (Baseball team) 3
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 27th 3
- B & B Studios 2
- Beaumont Manufacturing Company (Spartanburg, S.C.) 2
- Bilanchone, Linda Powers 2
- Byrnes, James F. (James Francis), 1882-1972 2
- Clark, Shelby V.T. 2
- Frank Evans High School (Spartanburg, S.C.) 2
- Glendale Mills 2
- Hub City Writers Project 2 + ∧ less