Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 211
Content Description Gold bond certificate for $1000 issued by the Spartanburg Water Works Company in 1891 with detachable slips valued at $30 and payable between 1894 and 1908.
Content Description One modern reprint of a 1920 photograph depicting an unknown Spartanburg County African-American family in front of their home. Seller's original description identified the date and location.
Content Description Two bound calendars featuring artist profiles and sketches of historical sites in the Spartanburg region by members of the Artists' Guild of Spartanburg. Sites depicted in the 1960 calendar include Anderson's Mill, Walnut Grove Plantation, McMaken's Tavern, Price's Post Office, Nazareth Church, Shiloh Church, Harriet Trail House, Earle's Fort, Daniel Morgan Monument, Lucas House, Seay House, Legge House, Block House, old Graded School, Westmoreland House, Mount Pleasant Tavern, Mulligan House,...
Content Description Large collection of 91 small format photographs depicting activities of the 102nd Battalion of the Army Corps of Engineers while stationed at Camp Wadsworth during World War I. A few of the images may depict activities at Fort McAllen, Texas in 1916. A few of the images include the photographer's stamp for P. E. Witte of Spartanburg, SC.
Content Description One panoramic photograph of Company C of the 31st Infantry Training Battalion assembled at Camp Croft in October of 1941.
Content Description One original photograph depicting interior view of A. Frank Lawter grocery store in Spartanburg. First appearance of the store in city directories occurs in 1911, when the store is listed at 116 South Church Street, where it remains until the 1918 city directory, when it is listed at 118 South Church Street. This photograph likely dates to the store's opening in 1910 or 1911.
Content Description Three color lithographic prints (7.25" x 9.25") depicting African-Americans, cotton cultivation, and a banjo performance. Prints were created by a dry goods firm, William R. Moore Company of Memphis.
Content Description 25 color slides of Albert Twichell House (also known as the Fretwell House), one color slide of a brick arch in the Church of the Advent chapel, and 13 color slides of an exhibit at the Spartanburg Arts Center. All slides are circa 1985.
Content Description Collection consists of ledgers, sheet music, photographs, business documents, and publicity clippings from Alexander Music House, a Spartanburg business that sold musical instruments, lessons, and recordings from the turn of the century through the 1980s.Contents include:Box 1 1. Folder: Photos: 167 W. Main St. Location (1 negative, 5 photos) 2. Folder: Photos: 200 E. Main St. Location (44 photos) 3. Folder: Photos: 391 E. Main St. Location (36 photos) 4. Folder: Photos:...
Content Description Andrew J.R. Helmus worked as a manager of the Andrews Company, originally a loom-reed and harness works company that transitioned to ball-bearings during World War II. This collection consists of papers related to Helmus's work at the Andrews Company, poetry that he wrote, speeches and essays that he wrote including those that he gave for fund raising for the Red Cross during World War II, scrapbooks, and receipts that show local business's stationary from the 1940s.
Content Description Nine (9) color slides depicting architectural details of the Andrews Building (also known as the Chapman Building) in downtown Spartanburg.
Content Description One original photographic print depicting an area outside Apalache Mill with the cars of a "flying squadron" from Spartanburg during the general textile strike of 1934. Image was originally published by Acme News Pictures. The photograph was touched up with pigments apparently for reproduction in a publication.
Content Description Archibald Rutledge was the first poet laureate of South Carolina. This collection consists of one signed photograph of a portrait of Archibald Rutledge and a poem that Rutledge wrote to Elizabeth Timberlake Clark that was placed on her grave.
Content Description Postcard depicting interior of Masonic Temple in Spartanburg in the 1940s, when a portion of the building was used as a recreation facility for Masonic servicemen. Postcard has been mailed by Private George Martin, stationed at Camp Croft, to his wife in Plainfield, Vermont.
Content Description One tintype depicting a boy, believed to be a member of the Austin family, possibly William Jefferson Austin (1874 - 1960), a resident of Caldwell County, North Carolina.
Content Description The materials in this collection were separated from the remainder of the B & B Studio Collection, which focuses on the photographic holdings generated by the business. Included are an assortment of programs, maps, and company newsletters collected by the business during its operation from 1947-2008.
Content Description Trifold flier produced by Band and White Printers including blank space for news clipping.
Content Description This file consists of nine sheets removed from a scrapbook otherwise filled with household tips, recipes, and anecdotal stories clipped from newspapers and pasted into a book. Retained were pages containing newspaper clippings from the 1881 dedication of the Daniel Morgan Monument and the Cowpens Centennial Celebration. Also retained was a two sheet program from an exhibition of the 1881-1882 sophomore class of Wofford College held on May 11 and May 12, 1882.
Content Description Eight issues of The Beaumont E, the company newsletter of the Beaumont Manufacturing Company. The title of the publication stems from the Army-Navy E Award, a honor given to manufacturing companies who provided material for the war effort during World War II.
Content Description One panoramic photograph depicting first shift employees of the Beaumont Mills card room. Donor identified the following individuals (all on first row): Superintendent James L. Adams (far left), Overseer Lloyd Jordan (2nd from left), Broad Jordan (10th from left), Levi Lindsay (12th from left), Will Berry (13th from left).
Overview Funeral programs, 1957-1991 (bulk 1975-1991), collected by Bessie Norris Wofford, primarily of services in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, particularly Roebuck and Walnut Grove. Also included are a small number of programs for services for natives of South Carolina held in other states and programs for a service to license for Brother Alan W. Ferguson and a 21st anniversary celebration of Rev. A.M. Matthews' ministry at Harrison Grove Baptist Church, Walnut Grove.
Content Description The Bethlehem Baptist Church is a church in Roebuck, SC that dates back to 1800. This collection consists of photocopies of the minute books of the Bethlehem Baptist Church.
Content Description Four photographs, depicting activities and graduation exercises of the Spartanburg General Hospital School of Nursing class of 1948, 1948 graduation exercises program, and diploma and registered nurse certificate issued to Pearl Brown, class of 1947.
Content Description Yard-long photograph by Alfred Willis of the ushers who participated in the Billy Sunday revival held in Spartanburg from January 9 to February 19, 1922. Ushers are standing on the courthouse lawn on Magnolia Street and the image includes a much of the eastern side of Magnolia Street. The only person identified is the donor's grandfather, John Miller Johnson, who is seated second from far right.
Content Description One postcard depicting the Block House at the boundary between North and South Carolina near Landrum, South Carolina. Mailed in 1912 by W. A. McClure of Spartanburg to Frank T. Henrietta of Fort Bayard, New Mexico.
Content Description Small collection of six portrait photographs apparently connected to the Morris Augustus Moore Brown family of Inman, South Carolina. Only one photograph is identified. It depicts M. A. M. Brown, his wife Sally Brown, and two children, Buford and Mayfield Brown around 1906. Another image created by Joyner's Studio in Chester, South Carolina depicts a man with American Indian and/or African-American features. Another notable photograph depicts two uniformed policemen with a mule.
Content Description This collection was created through muliple donations to create a fuller picture of Camp Croft during its use in World War II and its evoultion into a state park after the war. Many of the donations were made during the 50th anniversary of Camp Croft in 1991.
Content Description The collection consists of two boxes of letters, minutes, maps, financial reports, legal documents, and other written materials relating to The County Foundation's 1947 purchase of a portion of Camp Croft property which was subdivided and resould to veterans to develop as home sites.
Content Description Program booklet profiling the Camp Croft station hospital on the first anniversary of its organization in 1941. Booklet includes photographs of hospital, key personnel, and recreational activities of the hospital staff. Also included is a full roster of officers, nurses, and enlisted personnel.
- photographs 73
- Spartanburg (S.C.) 55
- Spartanburg County (S.C.) 27
- correspondence 20
- Military camps 16
- programs (documents) 16
- postcards 15
- World War II 11
- World War, 1939-1945 11
- World War, 1914-1918 10
- World War I 9
- clippings (information artifacts) 9
- newspapers 9
- Schools 8
- Textile factories 8
- Textile workers 7
- architectural drawings (visual works) 7
- houses 7
- minutes (administrative records) 7
- negatives (photographs) 7 ∧ less
- Willis, Alfred 7
- Camp Wadsworth (Spartanburg, S.C.) 6
- Camp Croft (Spartanburg, S.C.) 5
- Wofford College (Spartanburg, S.C.) 5
- Clifton Manufacturing Company 3
- Spartanburg County School District Seven 3
- Beaumont Manufacturing Company (Spartanburg, S.C.) 2
- Bilanchone, Linda Powers 2
- Byrnes, James F. (James Francis) 2
- City of Spartanburg 2
- Glendale Mills 2
- Hub City Writers Project 2
- Spartanburg Downtown Memorial Airport 2
- Spartanburg High School 2
- United States. Army. Division, 27th 2
- Witte, P. E. 2
- (Spartanburg, S.C.) Herald-Journal 1
- Alexander Music House 1
- American Association of University Women 1
- American Red Cross . Piedmont Chapter 1 ∧ less