Skip to main content

Abney Mills Woodruff Mill Second Shift panoramic photograph

 Collection
Identifier: SCPL-2019-021

Content Description

This collection consists of one panoramic photograph showing the workers of the second shift at the Abney Mill located in Woodruff.

Dates

  • after 1946

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Woodside Cotton Mill began operation around 1901. The structure was 270,000 square feet and housed 45,684 spindles, 644 looms and 400 employees at its peak. Throughout its a hundred year history, the mill changed hands multiple times. In 1928, it joined Brandon Mill and Poinsett Mill to form the Brandon Corporation. The Brandon Corporation was purchased by Abney Mills in 1946 and the mill was renamed the Abney Mills Woodruff Mill. In the mid-1990s, John Perkins of John Perkins Industries Inc. bought the building, named it Mount Vernon Mill, and leased the building. On March 27, 2001, a fire broke out in the building and the entire structure burnt down.

Extent

1 Photographic Prints

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

Found in a house in Moore, SC that previously belonged to Dons Pearson. The back of the wooden frame read "J. C. Pearson's Woodshop, Moore SC/Help the Handicapped."

Condition Description

The front of the photograph has dirt stuck to it around the edges and there is slight cracking throughout. The back of the photograph has dirt throughout.

Processing Information

The photograph was removed from the frame it was brought in. It was lightly cleaned to remove surface dirt. The photograph was placed in an acid-free oversized folder.

Source

Title
Abney Mills Woodruff Mill Second Shift panoramic photograph
Author
Harrison Gage
Date
October 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Kennedy Room of Local History and Genealogy Repository

Contact:
151 S. Church St.
Spartanburg SC 29306 United States