Georgia Cleveland Home records
The collection consists of internal records of the Georgia Cleveland Home that includes their financial records, minutes of board meetings, and information on residents and staff. There are also numerous photographs, most of which were originally housed in scrapbooks, that show board members and residents, mainly from the 1990s. The scrapbooks also contained newspaper clippings that include obituaries for board members and residents.
- 1920 - 1998
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available by appointment only. Contact Kennedy Room staff for more information.
Biographical / Historical
The Georgia Cleveland Home was founded September 11, 1895 and moved to its location on North Dean Street in 1921.
Mrs. Thomas James Trimmier conceived the idea for a home for elderly ladies of limited means and gave the first monetary donation. Seventeen ladies were present at the organizational meeting in the old Spartan Inn parlor. After many meetings, the group decided upon the name of the Association of the Home for the Aged and was chartered on April 22, 1899 as a charitable association under the laws of the state of South Carolina. Mrs. John B. Cleveland was elected the first President and served on the Board for 19 years, ten years as President. The association reorganized in 1915 and the name changed to The Georgia Cleveland Home in memory of its first President.
The original home and lot on South Dean Street were given in October 1899 by Mrs. Trimmier. In February 1900 the Home moved into its newly built second residence on South Dean Street. In 1921, Mr. John B. Cleveland provided the third building, on North Dean Street. Built in 1907, this building was formerly the Spartanburg City Hospital.
In 1980, the Board of Directors voted to change its system of electing members from self-perpetuating to rotating, consisting of not more than 25 active volunteer members who govern the affairs of the home. A paid staff, consisting of a day matron, a night matron, a week-end matron, one cook, and one housekeeper, manage the operation of the home.
In 1998, it was decided by the Board of Directors to close down The Georgia Cleveland Home due to increased operation costs, lack of residents, and increased regulations on how elder care facilities must operate. The few remaining residents were moved and the Home closed its doors in 1999.
-History of the Georgia Cleveland Home was copiled by Centennial History Committe member Gwen T. Howell
4 Linear Feet (1 record storage box, 1 archival file box, and 1 archival letter box)
Language of Materials
The Georgia Cleveland Home was a boarding house whose goal was to provide a suitable home for aging women of good character, but limited income, in a manner best calculated to preserve their individual dignity. The collection includes board meeting minutes and other board records, financial records, information on the residents, photographs, and an In Memorium book.
Most of the materials in the collection were originally housed in binders. The folders are arranged to keep that original order as best possible, especially in Box 1. Folders with longer files were placed in Box 3.
Kennedy Room Vault
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script