Skip to main content

Spartanburg Rotary Club records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPL-1997-009

Content Description

The collection consists of the Spartanburg Rotary Club minutes of Directors' meetings and club luncheon meetings spanning more than three decades, from 1916-1947. There are also some items related to the history of the Rotary Club.

Dates

  • 1916-1947

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is available by appointment only. Please contact the Kennedy Room for more information.

Biographical / Historical

The Spartanburg Rotary Club was founded in 1916 and was the second Rotary Club in South Carolina (the Greenville Club was organized about 2 months earlier). The club had 27 charter members that represented a variety of business owners in Spartanburg. The club holds regular weekly luncheon meetings that have meet at the YMCA, Finch Hotel, Gresham Hotel, Cleveland Hotel, Franklin Hotel, and currently the Piedmont Club. The Rotary Club is a service club and over the years has done projects like sponsoring the Piedmont Interstate Science Fair and creating scholorships for local students to attend local colleges.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (2 archival letter boxes )

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Files are arranged alphabetically and then chronologically. The minutes are arranged accoring to how they were originally arranged into binders.

Physical Location

Kennedy Room Vault

Further Reading

Spartanburg Rotary Club. Retrieved 12-14-2018.

Spartanburg Rotary Club History, 1916-1979. Retrieved 12-14-2018.

Processing Information

The minutes were originally housed in binders with metal prong fasteners keeping the papers in place. The papers were removed from the binders, paper clips were removed, and placed into acid free folders.

Title
Spartanburg Rotary Club records
Status
Completed
Author
Harrison Gage
Date
December 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Kennedy Room of Local History and Genealogy Repository

Contact:
151 S. Church St.
Spartanburg SC 29306 United States