Skip to main content

Clifton Mills collection

 Collection
Identifier: SCPL-2011-07
This collection contains miscellaneous materials produced by Clifton Manufacturing Company between ca. 1880 and 1960. They were collected by David Moore from residents of Clifton and Converse and used to help in writing two books, A Place Called Clifton and Clifton: River of Memories. When Clifton Mills closed, their business papers were left unguarded in the otherwise abandoned mills and were subjected to environmental hazards, complete disorganization, and theft. After some time, Clemson University acquired what remained of the archive, which they continue to house. Some of these items here were removed from those archives prior to Clemson’s possession of the material, others are marked to indicate some level of archival processing and may represent items discarded by Clemson, other items were held privately by residents of the area and were never a part of the company’s archives.

Dates

  • 1880 - 1965

Creator

Condition Description

Varied. Some items in quite poor condition, particularly the items in Box 7

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is available by appointment only. Please contact the Kennedy Room for more information.

Extent

9 Linear Feet

Physical Location

Third floor mechanical.

Condition Description

Varied. Some items in quite poor condition, particularly the items in Box 7

Repository Details

Part of the Kennedy Room of Local History and Genealogy Repository

Contact:
Spartanburg United States